Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What are we currently working on - Spring 2012

So I'm going to make every effort to document all the costuming making process as best I can... But I might forget for a while... And I was thinking about it, sometimes I'm going to want to talk about what we're working on right now rather than what we just finished... I will eventually get to my point...

So on one of my favorite author's sites/blogs they post what they are working on and where their current projects statuses... I thought I would try something similar....

What we're working on:
In progress: Perseus - Clash of the Titans (2010)
Staging: 1) Andromeda & Medusa - Clash of the Titans (2010)
               2)Katniss Everdeen; Effie Trinket - The Hunger Games

So let's say that "In Progress" is going to be the costume we're trying to get done RIGHT NOW, Staging could be anything from buying materials, shopping, making a mess in Dejathoris' house with all our crap stuff.

We, and by we I mean Dejathoris, found some amazing material called Wunderflex... I'm not sure if I'm spelling that right, I'll change it later if I'm told to. It is a heat malleable material that apparently pro and regular costumers use all the time to create everything... So we bought it to create the metal work on Perseus' armor. HOLY FRACKINSTOCK this stuff is super wicked. I'm going to try and see if Dejathoris wants to do her write up on it so I won't over share, but this stuff is good for beginners and GDDMN if it doesn't look pro when you're done! The pictures around here are of us trying to mount the Wunderflex "metal" pieces (post painting and staining) onto the leather backing. These are just pictures of the shin guards that Perseus wears. This is going to be the BEST.ARMOUR.EVER.
















So while Dejathoris was workin on that, I was busy working on the "skirt" (I'm trying to find a more masculine name for it, thoughts?)... Now what really, really, really sucks? Finishing all the edges... I cut and measured 18 pieces staggering the lengths and widths in proportion to the images. As much as you think you might want a "rough" finished edge, you actually want to do as much finishing as possible... Dejathoris actually went to our Leathercraft class where they taught finished techniques and picked up a bevel. This little doodad smooths the edges of the leather and actually makes the end product look better... So learnings? Finish your damn edges...  We also decided to create a little bit of a border on each of the pieces. So we took an edging tool and ran it along about a quarter inch or so from the end. Once the pieces are stained we're going to make them "pop" by running over the border with a black sharpie. Another learning was that this leather is only 3.5 weight whereas our leather for the Steampunk Trio (of Evil) was a 4.5. The reason this is of note is because the 3.5 took to a sewing machine leather needle amazingly, while the 4.5 broke about 50 million of them. (No lie, I counted).





And finally, Staging wise, we picked up some really great stuff over the weekend. Sephora has a sale on the Eyelashes that Effie Trinket is wearing the in promotion pictures. They're the laser cutout eyelashes, the pattern is called "Deer and Butterfly". We also picked up a nice big Blond 'Fro wig from the dollar store. While we were at Bhatia Cloth House, we picked up some jewelery for Andromeda because my recent attempts at jewelery were running out of time, and costing way more than they should. (More on that later)... FINALLY, we stopped by a thrift store on our way home and found the perfect Katniss jacket. We're going for the "regular" Katniss look rather than the "Arena" look. That way we can take a few literary liberties.



Alright, I think I emptied my brain of all postable material... Guavious is back in town this weekend, and we're hoping to get some pictures of him trying out what we've finished of Perseus, so maybe we'll have something new sooner than we think! And like I said, I'm going to try and write summaries of all the different costume sets we have so far!


Cheers!

Deer and Butterfly Eyelashes @ Sephora:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P294802&categoryId=B70

No comments:

Post a Comment