Friday, January 11, 2013

Completed Comic Book Shoes!

Completed Shoes!



Completed Comic Book Shoes!
8 months in the making... 









I am a lazy lazy crafting nerd... According to when I took the first picture to when I posted the last, it took me 8 months to finish this project!!! A long, long time ago I came across a lovely article on Fashionably Geek (http://fashionablygeek.com/shoes/diy-killer-comic-book-heels/). On the original post it states that it’ll take about 8 hours per shoe (
http://sogeekchic.com/post/26012304582/bluddyholly-smearrr-ironspy-diy-killer)
  





It all started out fun and exciting. I went down to my local comic book store and searched through some of the new releases. Originally I had in mind to make some Buffy themed shoes, but I couldn’t find any particular scene sticking out at me to make a statement on. There’s a little bit of background on the Buffy thing. I love BtVS. Like a ridiculous amount. I used to bail on friends every Saturday at 7:30 and ignore their calls (this is before PVR-ing, and I didn’t have a VCR to record) just to secretly sneak home and watch Buffy like an addict. Because of this, I’ve created this shrine in my head and can’t seem to make any of my Buffy crafts correct. 

Back on point! I found these lovely drawn Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz comics (learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Wizard_of_Oz_%28comics%29) and just fell in love with the drawings. Everything was so animated and colourful I just had to have them. So I bought two of each (one to read and keep, one to destroy) and went home. After reading, I settled on some icon scenes in two of the stories and set about cutting up the pieces for the collage. I then selected some stand out panels and dialogue, set those aside, and organized the remaining pieces by the dominant colour visible in the panel. This part was really fun! I took a pair of old pumps, cleaned them off and set up my Mod Podge station. 

The reason I grouped all the pieces by colour is so that I could make an attempt to clearly define each piece, rather than have them blend together seamlessly. I was worried that I’d zone out and all of a sudden have half the shoe look green since it all came from the same “race scene” I liked. I set about smearing the Mod Podge over medium sized sections and then just stuck a bunch of pieces on and layered on more Mod Podge. This part took no time at all.  

Once this was all dry, I set to work on the pop out pieces I had selected. Mostly the pieces were dialogue bubbles  but I did have some images of Dorothy and her friends that I was hoping to put on the shoes. Unfortunately, the dialogue bubbles, the title and writing credits were the only ones that made it. I glued the dialogue bubbles to some black crafting foam, and once dried I hot-glued those onto the shoes.


FINALLY, I put a layer of red sequin trim around the top of the shoes and around the heel in honour of the beloved ruby slippers. This was done with hot-glue.  
                                                                        After everything was all dried, I layered on some Art Resin to seal the shoes so that I could actually wear them. I placed the shoes on some parchment paper, and applied very thin layers using a disposable foam brush. Expect the resin to melt down to the bottom and pool on the shoes. To get rid of this you will need a file. I felt like this was a needed step to complete the look and to save it from hard wear and tear.  Overall this should have only taken me half the time considering my schedule. 

I've still got a bag with the left over pop pieces and some red sequins that I can't bare to throw in a box... I must find a project for these too!

Recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment