Friday, October 19, 2012

I made a Jayne Hat!



I Made a Jayne Hat!

Original Jayne Hat
 So Mr Dejathoris (for lack of a better code name) sometimes reminds us of Jayne Cobb. And we tend to watch a lot of Firefly because it’s the only consistently awesome thing on Canadian Netflix. So amongst our random cosplay over the summer, Dejathoris asked me to make him a Jayne hat. I’ve been working on getting back into my knitting so I thought ‘Why not?’ she bought the supplies and I could do this in front of the TV.

Starting the Yellow
There are a TON and I mean a TON of Jayne Hat patterns on the internet, and most of them involve circular needles. This is why I had to start over so many times. As much as I hate sewing seams on knit garments, I did not get the hang of. So I gave up and switched to regular needles so I modified the pattern to match that.


I used 6.5 gauge needles, and bright yellow, bright orange, and rusty red coloured yarn. I don’t know the brand because Dejathoris ripped off the labels to make the pompom. (She knows not of Yarn etiquette, so sad). Casting on about 72 made the hat slightly too big for my head so I’m hoping that it fits Mr Dejathors well... If not, I do have enough yarn to start over.

Post stitching together
Most of the patterns involved knitting the entire hat as if it were one piece. And because I couldn’t figure out the circulars I knit it flat knowing I’d sew it together.  I knit about 1 ½ Inches of Ribbing in Orange, then 3 ½ inches of stockinette in Orange. I switched to the Yellow and did another 3 ½ inches. I then started to decrease the stitches k2tog on the RS, and Purl the whole WS. I repeated the last two steps until I had about 7 stitches left and then attached the Pompom to those. I then sewed the whole hat together.

Starting the Earflaps
Rather than try to attach the ear flaps to the hat right away, I made them separately and attached them. Casting on about 22 in the Rusty red, I knit about 4 ½ inches in the stockinette and then started to decrease to round out the sides. I would k2tog the first and last stitches on the RS and P2tog the first and last stitches on the WS. I repeated this until there was one stitch left and ran the yarn through it.
Completed Hat!

Overall the project took me about an afternoon. I loved how quick and easy it was, and I loved how I could modify it to fit my capabilities. I highly recommend anyone to try this one out!

Not my Picture - A wonderful Mashup by Karen Hallion






Terminology:
WR – Wrong Side
RS – Right Side
K2tog – Knit two stitches together
P2tog – Purl two stitches together
Stockinette – Knit entire row on right side, Purl entire row on wrong side

1 comment:

  1. Dejathoris says: the yarn was Vanna's Choice® in "Mustard", "Teracotta" and "Brick", purchased on sale at Micheal's for $2.99 each.

    PS You are awesome, and Mr. Dejathoris looks very cunning indeed in his new chapeau!

    ReplyDelete